- Prior research experience
- GPA > 3.2
- TOEFL for international students*
- Personal statement, 1 – 2 pages
- 3 letters of reference (at least one from research faculty with whom you have worked)
We utilize a holistic approach to application review. Outstanding research achievements may offset a lower GPA. Our program values diversity, and we welcome applications by members of minorities or other disadvantaged groups.
All applications need to be submitted through the Virginia Tech Graduate School. Please see below for detailed instructions to direct your application to the MCB program committee.
Interested students are encouraged to contact faculty members, who they have an interest in working with, before submitting a formal application.
Priority deadline: December 1st
Screening of applications will start immediately after the priority deadline. Applications received by the priority deadline will receive priority review for admission, and accepted students may be eligible to apply for internal, competitive fellowships.
Final deadline: February 1st
Applications received between priority and final deadline will only be reviewed if the program has additional space available.
The majority of funding for graduate students in the MCB program, which includes tuition, a contribution to health insurance and a monthly stipend, are provided by individual faculty mentors (GRAs) and/or departmental support (GTAs).
How to apply
- Create an application account online
- Once your account is created, complete Section 1 – Profile, and Section 2 – Academic History.
- To select the MCB program, in Section 3 under “Please select a Program”, choose “Molecular and Cellular Biology”. Degree Type will be PhD, and campus will be Blacksburg.
- Once all selections are complete, click the “Submit” button in Section 3. You will be prompted to pay the $75 application fee. Once the application is submitted, you will receive an e-mail confirmation.